Our club members were talking about comfy wing chairs to go in their bookshelf projects. Since I had made upholstered furniture before, I offered to come up with some ideas. One thing led to another and I designed a chair and a pattern, then of course, I had to test it. And the pink rose chair was born.
Last week, I had finished covering the arms and wings. This week involved the cushions and finishing. I made the back cushion on a piece of card stock with two layers of Thermolam.
I folded the sides to the back and glued them in place. Then I clipped the top curve and the lower corners.
After gluing the back cushion in place, the chair started to take on the character I was looking for.
I used glue stick to adhere the fabric to the side and back panels and then clipped the curves and corners.
First I glued the side panels in place, and then the back.
To cover the fronts of the arms, I made a P shape of card stock that went from the rolled arms to the bottom of the chair. Then I covered all the edges and glued them in place.
I used crochet cotton for the piping. The pink is consistent with the light-hearted look I’m going for.
The seat cushion was made on another piece of foam core. It also has two layers of Thermolam before adding the fabric.
I brought the fabric around to the bottom of the cushion to glue. Once that was dry, I pushed it into place.
The legs were a new experience, but luckily I found Elga, who posted clear instructions on how to make cabriole legs. I was able to improvise with my Dremel using the sanding drum, and refining the curves by hand sanding.
I’ve reupholstered real life furniture through the years, which made it easier to learn to do it in miniature. The steps are similar, but there is no worry about stepping on a tack! I was really pleased with the way this little chair turned out.
Again, I owe so much to Kris Compas for sharing her “how-to” instructions.