There are two iconic light fixture designs that I chose to reproduce for the Hill House room box. One is the sconces that I did in September, and this week I started on the floor lamp.
The first step was to collect some photos of the lamp. I estimated the dimensions by measuring real life floor lamps and miniatures and decided on a height of 4.5 to 5”. Next I selected materials. The same hand-pressed paper that I used for the sconces would be used for the shade. I had some fine plywood off cuts which when stacked, reminded me of the wood cube. I used stick wood for the frame, a brass tube in the center to run the wire through and stacked two Woodsies for the base.
When I was making the curtains and the sconces in Inkscape, I had drawn the rose motif shade. I just had to make a few adjustments like eliminating one motif and adding a margin around the edges for folding under.
Of course I printed it out as I made the adjustments and got closer to my goal. I also tried it on the special paper.
I was going to cut it out manually, but thought why not use print and cut? I loaded the image into my Cameo 4 because that machine allows me to make design changes if needed. I also cut a lining of velum to glue on the inside for more durability. Then print!
Now cut! It didn’t quite center itself, but rather than fiddle with it, I accepted it as is.
I stiffened the shade and the liner with a couple coats of Mod Podge and then used white glue to laminate them. I contoured them while the glue was wet so I didn’t get wrinkles or bubbles later.
While waiting for the glue to dry, I cut and stained the wood pieces.
I wanted everything to fit together as precisely as possible and decided to make a template. The right tool for the job was the Cricut. I drew a circle the size of the Woodsies to be used for the base and then centered a 1/8” circle and sliced a hole for the tube. I sliced more holes where the uprights would be inserted and cut it out. I used it to drill perfectly placed holes. Here is the dry fit:
I was pretty excited at this point because the lamp was looking just as I had imagined it. But then real life got in the way. It seems that while everyone is on lockdown some people are doing some thinning out. We have received a couple inquiries from people wanting to donate items to our club. I receive those inquiries and I am conveniently located, so I have been the drop off location. Look what we got!
This represents the stash of a lady who decorated eggs. I did not know anything about this hobby called eggery, but soon found out that her stash has a lot in common with a miniaturist’s stash. There are tiny threads, ribbons and braids, floral material, jewelry findings and beads, and little figures.
Under normal circumstances, I would have our members come over and ask them to “shop” and take whatever they wanted. We can’t do that yet, so I have been photographing the various categories so members could see what we have. Then I can arrange a pick up using appropriate precautions.
So, as often happens, I have been a little distracted. I’m excited to finish my lamp, though.