The Peachstone Cottage

The Peachstone Cottage is a “new build” for the purpose of learning the skills of a miniaturist. I ordered a kit from Real Good Toys and immediately set to modify it. Fix yourself a cup of tea and I’ll tell you all about it.

In anticipation of building this cottage, I created some guiding principles. This included characteristics like being “playable” and adding a bit of whimsy. It would also have LED lighting for each room.

I raised the roof, centered the door and changed the windows. I also added an entry. The cottage would be peach, with mahogany trim.

I added “stones” to the foundation. These were made from the “ribs” of pressed paper berry boxes. I cut the pieces to size and glued them on. Next I sealed the stones and painted them a neutral color. I used spackle for grout, and then added color washes.

Now the cottage is starting to take shape. The purchased “slate” tiles are on the roof and I added stones around the doorway. It was time for the cottage to get a name. A poll of family members came up with “The Peachstone Cottage.” It was not only perfect because it was descriptive, it harkened back to family history as told later.

With work completed on the outside. I moved inside. The living room was first. I built a fireplace with stone trim. Then I added lighting, which was controlled by the push button switch on the left edge. I made the sconces of acrylic flower beads and brass jewelry findings, illuminated by the tiniest LED lights. The fireplace has flickering LED lights to simulate fire.

The next photo shows the completed living room and some serendipity. Kim remembered a family heirloom which was the perfect motif for the cottage. Our maternal great grandfather had carved a basket out of a peach stone. It fit perfectly in the chimney niche I had already made.

I researched ideas for the kitchen and opted to make a stove first. I took design inspiration from a Mary Engelbreit illustration and a 1930s era stove I found online. I made a detailed drawing, cut the pieces of bass wood and assembled it. I used found metal objects for the hardware.

I used the same procedure to make a cottage refrigerator.

The kitchen is finished with lights, curtains and a purchased sink. The wallpaper is scrapbook paper and I made the flooring using actual Marmoleum colors from their website and arranging the tiles in photoshop. Then I printed it on photo paper and scribed joint lines with a ball stylus.

The electrical wiring is hidden in the orange crate which I made.

Next I moved on to the bathroom. For the fixtures, I modified a purchased bathroom kit. I made a hamper of floral wire and crochet cotton to hold the electrical wiring.

At about this point in construction I wrote a how-to book called “DIY Projects with the Fruity Girls.”

More about the Peachstone Cottage will include the completed façade and the bedroom.